The main goal of the Advanced School is to provide young researchers (PhD and postdocs) with the state of the art of theoretical and experimental tools to study Biomolecular Interactions. In this context, classes focused on protein-protein, protein-membrane, protein-lipid, membranes and proteins and their partners as well as protein-DNA interactions will be addressed (details in the Scientific Program). The school will give students the opportunity to attend multi-disciplinary classes and to interact with renowned researchers on Structural and Spectroscopic techniques, such as Fluorescence, CD and SRCD, EPR, NMR, SAXS, Cryo-TEM, AFM and molecular dynamic simulations. Furthermore, the School will also offer plenary lectures with the aim to make a synergic liaison between different techniques applied to biologically relevant topics.
In this way, the students will meet prominent biophysicists in the field and other young scientists in an attractive and convivial environment, thus propitiating excellent conditions for networking.
The Advanced School will be conducted in English. Applicants therefore must be proficient or have a sound understanding of the English language in order to comprehend, communicate, and participate actively in the School activities.
According to the Scientific Program students will actively participate in discussing their ongoing work during the school through:
- Case Studies: students pre-selected during the registration process (online registration) will present and discuss their results based on the lecturers (themes) given at each day.
- Lunch with teachers: students will be divided in small groups and have lunch with the teachers to exchange experiences and ideas.
- Hands-On: the students will be split in groups such that each group will attend a specific hands-on per afternoon at Institute of Physics and Institute of Chemistry from University of Sao Paulo. Each student must choose, at least, 3 hands-on (according to Scientific Program) during the Registration process.
- Poster Session: there will be two posters sections dedicated to the students presentation.
- Visit to CNPEM: the students will have the opportunity to visit the facilities of the Synchrotron Brazilian National Lab: LNLS (in special the SAXS and IR beam lines), LNBIO (NMR facility) and LNNano (Cryo-TEM and negative stain microscopy)
About 100 applicants, 50 from Brazil and 50 from other countries will be selected to participate in the Advanced School. The selection will be based on the merit of their application, the relevance of the academic work and studies related to the advanced school themes.
Thus, applicants must fill out the Application Form and submit a short CV (no more than 2 pages), a poster abstract, a motivation letter as well as a reference letter from a thesis advisor/postdoc supervisor indicating the expected benefits for the applicant’s academic work and studies. All material should be submitted in English.
Abstract submission and registration deadline: June 18th 2017
The selection will be finished and announced by June 30th 2017.
A registration fee of U$ 100,00 is required for all applicants to cover expenses (folders, meals) during the Advanced School. This amount must be paid either at the arrival or transferred to a bank for which details will be sent later to the selected students.
A significant number of travel grants (75) are available for eligible participants from other countries and Brazilian states other than Sao Paulo. The travel grant covers the travel and hosting expenses (L’Opera Hotel, breakfast included) during the Advanced School. If you need a financial support, please, justify so in the required field of the Application Form. The selected students will be invited to attend the Annual Brazilian Biophysical Society Meeting which will be held from 27 to 29 October at Hotel Mendes Plaza (mendesplaza.com.br) in Santos town (90 km from Sao Paulo)- programme to be announced soon.